dys·func·tion /dɪsˈfʌŋkʃən/ [dis-fuhngk-shuhn]–noun
1. Medicine/Medical . malfunctioning, as of an organ or structure of the body. 2. any malfunctioning part or element: the dysfunctions of the country's economy. 3. Sociology . a consequence of a social practice or behavior pattern that undermines the stability of a social system.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Big Girl Underwear

For Christmas, Santa brought Shake'n'Bake her first package of Big Girl Underwear.


We've been working on potty training in a relaxed way for the past couple of months (see the Pros and Cons of the Reward System post) but I stepped it up a little after she got underwear for Christmas.

For the first two weeks we set a loose routine where we would go to the potty at certain times: before bed, first thing in the morning, before and after a bath... but it was all still fairly relaxed since I only have her for five consecutive days (Mon-Fri) most weeks and I didn't want any hard work to be... changed... when she went to her dad's house.



This Monday we started really trying.


Shake'n'Bake is staying with me this weekend so I thought that my best bet would be to try and start now, so that I have her for more than five days.




Now diapers are only for 'sleepy time' (nap and bed) and for the occasional outing -  since we've only been at it for three days now. Shake'n'Bake wears big girl underwear all the rest of the time, and I make a point to take her to the bathroom every thirty minutes.



Every.               Thirty.             Minutes.



I don't know if I can emphasize this enough. Every half hour - that is, thirty minutes - I stop everything we're doing and take Shake'n'Bake to the bathroom to sit on the potty.



O_o



This is why I wanted to wait until I had her for the weekend as well.



It's going to be an interesting conversation with her father...

No comments: