dys·func·tion /dɪsˈfʌŋkʃən/ [dis-fuhngk-shuhn]–noun
1. Medicine/Medical . malfunctioning, as of an organ or structure of the body. 2. any malfunctioning part or element: the dysfunctions of the country's economy. 3. Sociology . a consequence of a social practice or behavior pattern that undermines the stability of a social system.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Blood Hurts

I am doing my college course online.

This way, I started attending college when I was pregnant with my second daughter, and am still able to attend full-time although I breastfeed.

All of my testing is done online as well.

After I complete a Test, Midterm, or Final Exam, I review the questions that I got wrong in an effort to either learn or argue my answer in an attempt to get my marks back.

These are some real emails that have been exchanged. This is my frustration with this course that I PAID TO TAKE.

(These are biology-esque courses)



Example 1

FROM ME:


FROM PROFESSOR:


I've made these as big as possible, but you can click to enlarge them.

Let's address the first question. A knowledge of biology is not necessary here.


#57 - "Hey Prof, our text and notes both say that these two muscles are correct answers, since neither one of them was referred to as a 'major' extensor...wtf?"
Prof - "This one muscles group is BIGGER, therefore it is the right answer."


O_o      uh huh.


#83 - "Hey Prof, this entire muscle group hasn't been studied yet...wtf?"
Prof- "You're right! Question eliminated from marks."


: D Hey, alright!


#84 - "Hey Prof, HALF the possible answers for this question haven't been learned yet...and the question asked to pick which one was closest to the center of the body; which implies that you should have a general knowledge of the whereabouts of EVERY ONE...wtf?"
Prof- "Process of elimination. The question's still good."


O_o' .......really? You'll eliminate the question that we haven't learned about, but the question that relies on a knowledge of two things that we haven't learned is 'still good' because we're supposed to ASSUME that they aren't closer to the center than the ones we know....uhhhh huhhhh.


Example 2

FROM ME:


FROM PROFESSOR:


#30 - "Hey Prof, this question asks what muscle does THE SAME THING as the one in the question. The one in the question flexes the hip...and so do answers A and C. Now, I picked C and got it wrong...wtf?"
Prof- "Well, your answer does two things: flexes the hip and adducts it, while my answer ONLY flexes the hip so.... you're wrong."


O_O  but that doesn't make me wrong...both muscles flex the hip, and that's what the question was asking.


Example 3

This one is the worst one of all. My personal favourite. Unfortunately, this professor (different from previous one) answered by adding text to my questions so you have to look hard to see the responses.

FROM ME:

FROM PROFESSOR:

FROM ME:

FROM PROFESSOR:

#78 - "Hey Prof, this question asks which one of the four has no nerves. Although we've studied three of them, I went with Blood...because blood has no nerves. After I got this question wrong, I went back through the text and found PROOF that the other three options have nerves in them...wtf?"
Prof- "Your proof for cartilage is wrong. Sorry. As far as blood goes, you're right! Blood has no nerves. Unfortunately, since we haven't studied it yet, you're wrong. The correct answer is cartilage!"
".........uh, well the question didn't ask for the "best" answer, or the answer that applies ONLY from material we've studied sooooooo I was hoping to get the marks back."
Prof- "You get a mark back for a different question that you argued (not shown here), but not this one. You are wrong."


O_o


I'm wrong eh?


Because cartilage doesn't have nerves.


But Blood is supposed to beeeeeeeeeee...a mystery?


Alllllll those nerves...


My Blood hurts.