dys·func·tion /dɪsˈfʌŋkʃən/ [dis-fuhngk-shuhn]–noun
1. Medicine/Medical . malfunctioning, as of an organ or structure of the body. 2. any malfunctioning part or element: the dysfunctions of the country's economy. 3. Sociology . a consequence of a social practice or behavior pattern that undermines the stability of a social system.

Monday, April 18, 2011

The Craftasaurus Alphabet

I recently wrote a post called Craftasaurus Rex which was all about the crafts that Shake'n'Bake and I have been doing lately. I mentioned in that post that I should illustrate the Craftasaurus Rex. So, of course, I did.




Craftasaurus Rex told me that I should write more about the Letter Books. Some people have shown interest in recreating these crafts for themselves, which I am so flattered about, and I thought that it may be easier to recreate the Letter Books if you knew the words that I chose.

First of all, I have five different colours of paper that I use for the Letter Books. This makes ten individual pieces of paper, and nine different "page spreads". The first two page spreads are used for Big * and Little * also known as the Upper and Lower Case forms of the letters. That leaves room for seven words that begin with the letter.

If you also choose to use 5 colours, then your arrangement possibilities (according to my OCD) are:

2 WORDS  -  1 page of each colour
3 WORDS  -  2 pages of 3 colours
5 WORDS  -  2 pages of 4 colours
7 WORDS  -  2 pages of each colour

My first and BIGGEST suggestion is this: use all of the first names of your children, pets, and the words 'Mommy', 'Daddy', etc. I chose not to use Aunts, Uncles, or Grandparents for my books, but don't let that stop you! We had lots of fun drawing the members of our family, and it helps her to recognize what letter of the alphabet her name starts with. Or Mommy starts with. Or her sister.

PLEASE! Tailor this to your child as much as possible. Shake'n'Bake likes animals, so a lot of the words are animals words (therefore a lot of the pictures are...special...) but if your child likes construction vehicles, then use them instead. Sports? Try the equipment. Are you focusing on colours? Then include them (we have no colours in ours because they are included in the spelling game). Clothes, favourite TV show characters, fruits and vegetables, be creative!

I have taken the liberty of replacing all of our names in the Alphabet List with other words so that you will have options. SOME letters were very difficult, and if you don't like or agree with my words, you can replace them or make smaller books.

I would also recommend that you take the time to write out all of your words before you begin. The first two or three books that we did we came up the words as we went... this will leave you with words like 'avacado' for a two year old.

O_o


My Letter Book Word List

A
apple
ant
avacado
ape
acorn
airplane
arrow

B
ball
bed
bicycle
banana
butterfly
book
bird

C
cookie
cat
coat
chair
curtain
cow
clock

D
dog
diaper
dresser
door
doll
duck
dress

E
elephant
earring
eggplant
envelope
elastic
ear
egg

F
fox
flower
finger
fish
fly
foot
frog

G
garbage
gem
grass
giraffe
grapes
gorilla
guitar

H
hen
heart
horse
hand
house
hippo
hat

I
ice cream
infant
ice cube
igloo
iceskate
iguana
icicle

J
jungle
jug
jacks - like the game...with the ball...and the silver spikey things.
jam
jester
jail
juice

K
kiss - I drew two faces with massive lips touching.
kitten
king
kangaroo
kite
key
koala

L
lion
log
light
lake
lamb
leg
leaf

M
moon
mouse
monkey
music
map
maracas
marble

N
necklace
nose
nickle
net
needle - I went with a hypodermic needle that we would find at the doctor's office. You can always use sewing needle.
nut
nest

O
olive
owl
orange - the fruit
oar
oboe
oven
octopus

P
phone
pants
parrot
purse
penny
pillow
penguin

Q
quiet - I had a finger in front of a mouth saying 'shhhhh'.
quack - a duck's head, open beak saying 'QUACK!'.
quill
quail
quilt
queen
quarter

R
rhino
ring
rug
rat
roof
ruler
rope

S
socks
snake
star
swimsuit
snail
slippers
stereo

T
teeth
table
turtle
tree
towel
tiger
truck

U
umbrella
underwear
ukelele
unicycle
unicorn
umpire
UFO

V
vase
vent
vulture
vine
violin
van
vacuum

W
whale
water
worm
wig
wipes
wagon
wink - I drew a face with one eye open and one closed.

X
xylophone
xray

Y
yarn
yoyo
yogurt
yam
yawn
yell
yard

Z
zigzag
zamboni
zoo
zither
zucchini
zebra
zipper


So that's my list! Shake'n'Bake and I are still working on the books (six to go!) but I really hope that you'll try this with your kids (or other small relatives...) and if you do, I would love it if you sent me a picture! You can email me at atasteofdysfunction@hotmail.ca and if I get photos I will post them up here at a later date.

Craftasaurus Rex says you should email me.

No comments: