The 10 promises that I make as a mother.
1. Affection will not be hidden in my home. My children will know that they are loved because I will tell them that they are loved. I will hug and kiss my children at least once a day, most days more. My children will know that they are loved because I will show them that they are loved.
2. I will not say “Because!” as an answer. I will always answer my children’s questions because they deserve to know. Without answers they will not learn, without answers from me they will not learn to trust me.
3. I will not humiliate or belittle my children when they make mistakes. Accidents happen and mistakes are made to learn from. Gently.
4. I will read with my children and do everything possible to encourage their love of reading. Reading will open many doors for my children and spending the time to read to them will assure them of my love and presence.
5. I will do my best to instil good eating habits in my children. It is easier to be raised with good eating habits than to try and change poor ones later.
6. I will raise my children with tolerance and acceptance. They will not be blind to differences in people, as that is not a reasonable expectation, but the differences that they see will not influence their opinions of people. Someone may be different from me because they have black skin in the same way that someone would be different from me if they had blond hair. Or a penis. They are only differences in appearance and not worth.
7. I will try to do the ‘little extra’.
8. I will become involved in school and other activities because my children will excel if I am invested.
9. I will try my hardest to become a person that my children can talk to about anything, and come to anytime they need help.
10. Above all else, I will love my children with forgiveness and understanding for the rest of their lives.