dys·func·tion /dɪsˈfʌŋkʃən/ [dis-fuhngk-shuhn]–noun
1. Medicine/Medical . malfunctioning, as of an organ or structure of the body. 2. any malfunctioning part or element: the dysfunctions of the country's economy. 3. Sociology . a consequence of a social practice or behavior pattern that undermines the stability of a social system.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

City Planning Fail

This is a rough map of where I live:

Where I Live
(Click to Enlarge)
You'll notice my nice little house in the blue, my one neighbour in the purple, and of course the massive industry that is right across the street from me.
The important part here is what appears on the bottom left of my map...
Welfare.
Or more importantly-welfare's location in relation to the Horrible Apartments.

*side note: nice job Tim Horton's...conveniently placing yourself right next to the place where a lot of people who pick up small change go.*

There are a vast amount of businesses on Mainly Bad Road. Some small restaurant type things, some convenience stores, the occasional specialty sports store, and of course a pawn shop...but more importantly there is a Money Mart and a Beer Store.

Horrible Apartments are subsidized housing, so they are populated with a lot of people who are on Social Assistance aka Welfare. Now I don't mean to come across as despising people who are on Social Assistance, or stereotyping them in any way, (after all I came to this conclusion during my walk to the very same office) but this particular apartment complex gives the impression that it's residents are skeezy. There is always a police car parked outside. Always. I have seen up to six on one occasion. Police cars constantly jet down my street in the direction of Horrible Apartments, and it is implied that that is where they are going. (My city pretty much ends there, so there is no other reason for them to be heading that way.)
All of the windows in the complex are covered with either: colourful beach towels...enough said, or broken venetian blinds.
These would be nice ones
So this is where I find the humour. These people (I'm going to bet can't afford cars...welfare doesn't give you a lot.) walk down to the welfare office to pick up their cheques every month. ON THE WAY HOME they get to stop at the Money Mart - cash their cheques; pick up a two-four at the Beer Store; and stop in at one of the 'conveniently' located stores for cigarettes.
Ah, the government's money hard at work.
Even IF we give everyone there the benefit of the doubt, if but one person makes this trip then this is indeed a
City Planning Fail.

No comments: